- Recreate History class (4)
- Recreate Education class
- Recreate Home Economics
- recreate photos from decade site — Sarah L.
- Recreate Theater class (in the amphitheater) — Stephanie
- Senior Day? — Brooke
- One fun class and one serious class
- Include veterans (a few) who were still around in early 1950s.
- “Maybe each person could pick a major, not necessarily the same one they’re pursuing now, and look through courses and make a list of classes they’ve already taken, then think of a reason why they’re taking the particular class we reenact. If that works, maybe the same can be done for extracurricular activities (clubs, sports, etc.) so that we each have a small built-in scenario we can play with and use to interact with each other; this could bring in the non-academic resources as naturally as possible.” — Carrie
- Students as students, McClurken as Professor
Working in non-academic items
- — “There can be discussions in class about things that are happening and perhaps announcements made at the beginning of class of things that are happening socially around campus.”–Carolyn
- — “I think the best way to do this would be to do what Dr. McClurken does at the beginning of our classes today: ask the class what they did over the weekend/ what their plans are for the week. Maybe there could be a dance or other social event coming up, or a new rule or privilege could have just been introduced. A short discussion at the beginning of class of the world outside academics would be a great way to give a little authenticity to the class and also work in the elements that are not purely academic.” — Grace
- Library — “ a handout, maybe – that would capture what using the library was like for students in the 50s. A guide to the Dewey Decimal System, how to use a card catalog. “
- Dress — General agreement that we should try to dress in 1950s style. Ask Prof. McCluskey for help?
- Material Culture — books? Technology? Notepads
- Lots of suggestions here: http://umwtimewarp.umwblogs.org/2012/03/26/how-to-recreate-the-1950s-class/
- 1950s site, interviews, Dr. Crawley’s book, Battlefield, photos, Prof. McCluskey